Blogging and affiliate marketing are two popular ways to make money online.
Both business models might look different, but they actually complement each other.
In fact, most bloggers out there are affiliate marketers.
And, more affiliate marketers are bloggers.
But, of course, they’re different business models, so let’s talk about both to help you pick one (Or, maybe both?).
Blogging Vs Affiliate Marketing: What’s the Difference?
Blogging and affiliate marketing are both popular ways to make money online. But what’s the difference between the two?
Here’s a quick rundown: blogging is creating original content for a website or blog, while affiliate marketing is promoting products or services for other companies in exchange for a commission.
So, which is better? It really depends on your goals and what you’re looking to get out of it. If you’re looking to build a long-term brand or business, then blogging is probably the way to go. But if you’re just looking to make some quick cash, then affiliate marketing might be a better option.
Of course, there’s no reason you can’t do both! Some people use their blog to promote affiliate products, and this can be an effective way to combine the two strategies.
What is Blogging?
A blog is a collection of written, often informal thoughts or opinions on a particular subject. They are typically run by an individual, although there are some group blogs out there as well. A lot of people use them as a way to share their interests and provide information on various topics and monetize that content.
There are all sorts of different blogs out there, on just about any topic you can think of. There are probably even some blogs out there about blogging!
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is one of the oldest forms of marketing, and the internet has made it possible for brands to reach a wider audience than ever before. Affiliate marketing programs are typically operated by an affiliate network, which connects merchants with affiliates who agree to promote their products.
As an affiliate, your job is to sell products other businesses own.
Typically, you get paid for every lead or sale your get through your affiliate link.
Related Post: Affiliate Marketing Vs Freelancing: Which One to Choose?
Benefits of Blogging and Affiliate Marketing
Since blogging and affiliate marketing can be done at the same time, and are a lot similar, their benefits also overlap.
With Blogging and Affiliate Marketing, You Can Earn Passive Income
Both blogging and affiliate marketing are great ways to build an online business and generate passive income.
Blogging is a great way to build your brand and authority. If you blog about things that are useful, like how-to guides, tutorials, or reviews, you’ll attract a lot of traffic. This eventually helps you drive traffic to your affiliate links.
You Don’t Have to Own a Product
As a blogger or affiliate marketer, you don’t have to develop and manage a product to make money. You can easily sell other people’s products. The more traffic you get to your affiliate links, the more money you make.
Blogging and Affiliate Marketing Require Very Low Initial Investment
There are a number of ways to make money online, but two of the most popular are blogging and affiliate marketing. Both require a very low initial investment, which makes them attractive options for those looking to make some extra cash.
Blogging is a great way to earn some extra money. All you need is a computer and an internet connection, and you can start writing about whatever you want. You can also sign up for affiliate programs, which will allow you to make money from your blog by promoting products or services.
Affiliate marketing is another popular option for those looking to make money online. With this method, you promote products or services on your website or blog and earn a commission on any sales that you generate. Again, all you need is a computer and an internet connection to get started.
With the benefits out of the way, let’s see how you can start blogging and affiliate marketing.
How to Do Affiliate Marketing with Blogging?
Pick a niche
How to pick a niche for your affiliate blog?
Blogging is a great way to share your thoughts and ideas with the world. But if you’re looking to make money with your blog, you’ll need to choose a niche that is profitable. Here are some tips for choosing a niche for your affiliate blog:
1. Pick a topic you’re passionate about (Ideally). This will make blogging much easier and more enjoyable. Plus, you can be easily consistent on a topic you like talking about.
However, this is an ideal situation and not the only criteria for niche selection.
2. Do some research to find out which niches are most profitable. See if there are enough affiliate products you can promote in that niche.
3. Consider the competition in your chosen niche. If there are already many successful blogs, it may be difficult to stand out. However, this can also be an opportunity to offer something unique that other bloggers aren’t offering.
4. Make sure there’s enough demand for information in your chosen niche. This normally means the monthly search volumes of keywords you work on.
Google Keyword Planner tells you a rough range of search volume for your keywords.
Get a Domain and Hosting
Once you have a suitable niche in mind, it’s time to get your blog online.
Before anything else, buy a domain name from Namecheap.
Here are a few tips on how you can pick the right domain name for your affiliate blog:
- Keep it short
- Make sure it’s easy to pronounce
- Avoid using hyphens
- Stick with .com
- Include your target keyword if possible
Once you have a domain name, get a cost-effective and reliable hosting service.
There are plenty of hosting providers, but since you’re just starting out, and might not have much initial investment, Namecheap Shared Hosting would be a great option.
You can install WordPress directly from the Namecheap dashboard with a single click.
When WordPress has been installed, go to “www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin/“.
You’ll have to input your username/email and password to access your WordPress dashboard.
Next, install an SEO-friendly WordPress theme; GeneratePress is a great free option.
You can then install a few basic plugins before getting started with content publishing.
Here’s a list of important WordPress plugins:
- UpdraftPlus (for backups)
- YOAST SEO or Rank Math SEO
- WP Fastest Cache (For loading speed)
- Sucuri Security (To protect your site)
Don’t forget to add the author bio in the “Users” section of your blog.
Find Profitable Keywords
How to find profitable keywords for affiliate blogging?
When it comes to affiliate blogging, one of the most important things you can do is choose profitable keywords. But how do you know which keywords are going to be profitable?
Here are a few tips:
1. Use keyword research tools like Google AdWords Keyword Planner and KWFinder.com.
2. Look for keywords with high search volume and low competition.
3. Consider the user intent behind the keyword
4. Choose long-tail keywords (keywords that are more specific, rather than just one or two words) as they tend to convert better.
5. Make sure the keyword is relevant to your niche and content topic.
Create Helpful Content
Now that you have a list of profitable keywords, it’s time to start creating great content.
One of the most common mistakes many affiliate bloggers do is that they mostly focus on promotions.
That’s not a smart long-term strategy.
Your content should be focused on helping the readers.
SEO-Optimize Your Content
So, how do you optimize your blog posts for SEO?
There are a few key things you can do to optimize your blog posts for SEO.
- First, use your focus keyword throughout your post in the title, headings, body, and meta description
- Second, make sure your blog post is well-written and error-free.
- Create a comprehensive piece, or cover every aspect of a topic
- Include images with ALT text
- Add internal and external links
- Optimize your URLs (Keep them short and include your focus keyword)
How to Find Affiliate Networks & Programs?
It can be hard to find the right affiliate networks and programs to join. Here are some tips:
- Look for affiliate networks that specialize in your niche. For example, if you blog about travel, look for affiliate networks that focus on travel-related products and services
- Read reviews of affiliate networks and programs before joining them. This will help you avoid scams and find the best ones for your needs
- Ask other bloggers in your niche which affiliate networks and programs they use and recommend. They can give you first-hand insights into which ones work well and which ones to avoid
Here are a few popular and reliable affiliate networks you can join with peace of mind:
- Amazon Associates
- CJ Affiliate
Why should you build backlinks to your blog?
There are many benefits to building backlinks to your blog. For one, it can help increase your overall rankings in search engines.
This can lead to more traffic and exposure for your blog.
Additionally, backlinks can help build relationships with other bloggers and websites. Finally, backlinks can also help generate more traffic to your blog.
How do I build backlinks to my blog, you ask?
In order to build backlinks to your blog, there are a few things you can do.
First, create content that is share-worthy and informative. This will make people want to link back to your site.
Secondly, reach out to other bloggers and influencers in your niche and let them know about your content.
Lastly, be active on social media and participate in online communities related to your niche.
Related Post: Blogging Vs Instagram: Which One to Choose?