What is freelancing
“Freelancing is like an ocean, if you go deep, you will find hundreds and thousands of opportunities to make your life better and comfortable”
Freelancing is like self-employment. In it, you work independently and sell your services to other people.
Freelancers set their working hours themselves. According to a survey in 2020, the average earning of freelancers is $20 per hr.
The first step is usually the hardest as several butterflies are boggling in your mind.
If you are confused and don’t know where to start, don’t worry!
This article is all about how to take the first step onto the staircase of the freelancing world.
This article is the ultimate guide for those who want to know how to start with freelancing.
By the end of it, you will know:
- How to start with freelancing as a beginner
- Different freelancing platforms
- How to start with freelancing on different platforms
- Tips and tricks of freelancing
- How to start with freelancing just in 30 days
Top Freelancing websites
After you acquire a certain skillset, the first thing you want to do is: Find the right freelancing website for yourself.
There are many online platforms where you can start your freelancing career. Some of the top freelancing sites are:
How to Start Freelancing for Beginners?
Before starting freelancing first thing you need is passion. If you don’t have any passion and desire of learning in freelancing, then you can’t sustain yourself here for a long period.
You must have a clear map in your mind of what you want to achieve with freelancing.
You may face hard times at the start but with the eagerness of learning, you can keep your GPS on the right track.
If you keep on learning you will grow and eventually you will start earning.
As a beginner, you need to select a field according to your skills and passion. Keep developing your skillset in that field.
Let say you are passionate about content writing then select the niche according to your interest. The niche which you love to research on and don’t get exhausted.
- Make Portfolio.
- Choose Platform for Freelancing.
- Make an attractive profile on that platform
- Offer services in the niche you selected
- Promote your services on social media
- Make sure you have excellent communication with clients
- Get your first order and earn money
- Establish good repute and reviews on the profile with good communication
- Be responsive and deliver your orders on time
How to start freelancing with no experience
As a Freelancer, you will always gain experience with the passage of time and develop new skills. Here we talk about how to start with freelancing and gain experience
- The first thing you need to know is that experience always comes with time
- Start with freelancing as a part-time job, don’t quit If you have any full-time job. When you can gain some experience and become a professional then adopt freelancing as your full-time job
- Focus on one niche don’t think to be a jack of all trades
- Start taking online courses in that niche from different learning platforms.
- Build a habit of learning skills
- Start practicing your skills and prepare samples this will also help you to establish your own portfolio
Freelancing for students
Students can start part-time freelancing besides their study hrs.
There are many fields where students can start freelancing which require less time and earn some money and even pay their College/university fees.
Students can start with freelancing in these fields
- Making Presentations
- Designing Flyers, Posters
- Photoshop editing
- Data Entry+
- IT students can also start with coding
- Graduate students can also start online tutoring to kids etc.
- Social media manager / Social media post design
Students can learn Canva for Social media Post design, presentation design, CV design, logo design.
How to start freelance writing
Freelance writing is one of the major freelancing fields where you can earn money through writing blogs, articles, Case studies, Book/Novel writing, SEO writing, Research and summaries, and many more.
If you are looking to develop your freelancing career in writing here are some guidelines on how to start with freelancing as a writer.
- First, you need to select a niche in which you can start writing your article.
- Start writing samples.
- Build a WordPress website where you can publish your work.
- Learn Search Engine Optimization(SEO).
- Offer services on different freelancing platforms.
How to Freelance on Fiverr?
Fiverr is one of the leading platforms to buy and sell services online. It is one of the best platforms for beginners to start freelancing and earn money online.
Let’s start with how to start with freelancing on Fiverr.
First, you need to explore the marketplace of Fiverr. Go to https://www.fiverr.com/ and explore the market of different niches.
There are several niche competitive niches in every field like graphic and design, digital marketing, writing, and translation, etc.
You can search keywords and check how many services are being offered.
How to create a Fiverr Profile:
After exploring the market of your niche, you need to create a seller account, click on become a seller to create a seller profile.
You need to set up your profile
- Add a profile picture.
- Description in 4 to 5 lines.
- Languages which you can speak or offer your services.
- Linked your social media accounts, Twitter, Facebook, GitHub, Google.
- Add your certification on Fiverr.
- Add the skills which you have like if you are a graphic designer, you can add adobe illustrator, adobe photoshop, etc.
- Add your education level.
- Add your portfolio.
How to create a gig on Fiverr.
You need to create a gig on the niche. Before creating a gig, you need to select keywords. Let’s say you have selected digital marketing then first search digital marketing and see how many services have been offered.
After some research on keywords and knowing the competition in the field you need to create a gig. you can create 7 gigs on an entry-level account.
- Click on gigs and create a new gig.
- Write the Gig title by using the keyword which you selected, like “I will write engaging digital marketing articles “.
- Select the category articles and blog posts.
- Select the language of your services.
- Writing Tune and articles type.
- In search tags, you need to add a maximum of 5 keywords related to your gig. These are very important when any person search by using those keywords on Fiverr your gig will appear,
- Like in this case, you can write “digital marketing” “Articles writing” “Blog writing” “Content writing” “marketing blogs” “marketing articles”.
- Next, you need to select the package which you offer, you can customize it to a maximum of 3 packages per gig with different pricing.
- In the description, you need to briefly explain your gig, what you are offering, the benefits of your service, your working style, your experience in that field to attract the clients
- Provide unlimited revisions and keep your prices low at the start.
- Add some common FAQ and their answers related to your service
- In requirement, you need to ask the clients the necessary detail, guidelines about their work, which can be in text form or attachment.
- Make an attractive image for your service and add it to the gallery
- It’s better if you make a video which attracts more client’s attraction
- In the end, you click on publish and your gigs will be live on Fiverr.
Freelancing Tips for Beginners on Fiverr
- Create maximum gigs on Fiverr.
- Send buyer requests frequently.
- Choose keywords in which less competition.
- Share your gigs on social media platforms frequently to attract more buyers.
- Work in a manner to satisfy the client not what you think.
- Install the Fiverr mobile app for an instant reply to client messages.
- Try to reply to all clients.
- Start your services with low pricing as you don’t have any reviews on your profile so if you offer very high pricing at the start then no one will come to you.
- Make sure, you are online most of the time. You will not get orders if you just create a gig and stay offline for days.
- Don’t try to edit your gig as it is not beneficial for the ranking of gigs.
If you do these things right, you will get your gig ranked on the first or second page in a quick time
How to Freelance on Upwork?
Upwork is another leading freelancing platform where you start with your freelancing career by applying for an online job and earning money. Let’s talk about how to start with freelancing on Upwork as a beginner.
First, you need to go to https://www.upwork.com/ and create a fresh account by clicking signup. Then attach your email address and select work as a freelancer.
- The next step is to set up your Upwork profile. You can do this by linking your LinkedIn account or uploading your CV or by filling manually.
- You need to add your Title like Web developer, SEO expert, Graphic designer, etc.
- Add your experience and education, Skills, Bio, Hour rate, and Personal details including pictures, address, and phone number, and click on create your profile. After that, you need to verify your account by providing your ID and your profile will get published.
- Now you can start applying for different jobs by using connects.
- Each new account gets 80 connects free and after every month you get 10 connects.
- You can also earn connect by winning interviews, completing certifications, or earning badges on Upwork. You can also purchase connects.
- Usually, for one proposal it cost 1-2 connects but if the project is long-term with a high budget, then it cost 3-6 connects.
- Before applying to any job, you need to make sure that your cover letter is well written.
How to write an Upwork Cover letter:
- To write a cover letter, you should not copy any template from the internet
- Write it in your own words
- You should mention the name of the person or company to which you are applying for a job
- Try to write a one-page cover letter with 3 to 4 paragraphs
- Start to form your introduction and then write your skills and share your experience in that field by mentioning how you stated and your exposure
- Your cover letter should convince the client that you are up for the task
- Don’t just copy-paste your CV in a cover letter, list down the most important things in your CV and try to add those in the cover letter
- Try to add keywords that are in the job description
- Use a professional tone and structure your paragraphs properly
- Mention your name at the end of the cover letter
- Proofread your cover letter several times
Freelancing Tips for Beginners on Upwork
- Try to write a professional cover letter and do some changes every time according to the job you were applying.
- Create specialized profiles for your work.
- Attach your portfolio, your recent work history in Upwork.
- Attach your certification on Upwork.
- Don’t waste your connections by applying to every project. Narrow down the project according to your expertise and skills and apply it to the project which you think you can win.
- Start with small projects that cost 1-2 connects and can be completed within a month.
- Don’t buy connects at the start.
- Don’t work as a trail on any project
How to Freelance on Legiit
Legiit is a new online platform as an alternative to Fiverr where you can start your freelancing career by offering your services. Like Fiverr you can work in different niches.
Let’s start with how to start with freelancing and you can sell your services on legiit.
- Go to legiit.com and create your account as a seller.
- Set up your profile by adding personal details, descriptions, and additional information.
- Once your profile is created and verified you can sell services.
- Click on create new service.
- The process is almost the same as Fiverr.
- Add service title, subtitle, and select category.
- Add pricing, description, and requirement.
- In the gallery add an attractive photo and video related to your service and publish your service.
- The other way to earn on legiit is to apply for a job.
- Go to Jobs where you can see different jobs posted by individuals and companies in different fields.
- Click on the preferred job and add your price, days and write your proposal like Upwork and submit.
- You can also bid on the project by adding money but not recommended at the start to pay money.
- Legiit is a relatively new platform so there is less competition, and you can excel more quickly as compared to Fiverr and Upwork where competition is high.
- One of the advantages of legiit is you can boost your gig and rank on the first page by paying money.
How to Become a Freelancer in 30 days
If you think it is impossible to be a freelancer in 30 days you are wrong. You need small things right and you will start earning in the first 30 days
- You can make all these guidelines just in 30 days by right planning
- You need to select the niche which is possible to learn in quick time like blogging, photo editing, Data Entry, Content writing, etc
- In these fields, you can build up your portfolio in a very quick time
- Offer your service to the platforms discussed above, Fiverr, Upwork, and Legiit
- Make a schedule for 30 days
- Reach out to clients, send proposals, negotiate with them like a professional
- Offer low prices and discounts at the start you will attract some clients
- Try to deliver your work earlier than the deadline. Let say if your client gives you 3 days to complete your work. Try to finish it in 2 days
- Keep practicing, and don’t give up and you will begin your earnings in just 30 days
You can also create a website on WordPress and start promoting your services. If you want to know how to create a site on WordPress, click here.
Freelancing Tips for Beginners
In the end, I would recommend a few things on how to start with freelancing as a professional career
Freelancing can be a great way to make money, but it can also be a lot of hard work. If you’re starting as a freelancer, here are a few freelancing tips for beginners to help you get started.
6 Best Freelancing Tips for Beginners
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help
One of the best freelancing tips for beginners is to make sure you don’t try and do everything yourself. If you need some help, whether getting your website built or finding clients, find freelancers who can do those things for you. They should be easy to find on freelancing sites such as Freelancer, Guru, or Upwork. Getting others to help you with the things you’re not good at will make freelancing a lot easier.
- Set some rules for yourself
Freelancing can be a lot of fun, but it’s also essential to set some rules for yourself. It includes things like how many hours you’re going to work each day and what you’re going to do if a freelancing job runs over the deadline. Setting rules for yourself early on will help you avoid freelancing burnout and keep freelancing a fun experience.
- Find your niche
Freelancing, it’s essential to find one or two skills that you’re good at and focus on developing them. The more time you spend focused on improving your skills, the more likely freelancing will be for you. While freelancing, it’s essential to be passionate about what you’re doing. If you enjoy your freelancing work, freelancing will feel more like a hobby than a job.
- Don’t spend all your money on freelancing expenses
Freelancing can be expensive, especially when you start. Ensure that you don’t spend all your money on freelancing expenses, such as website design or marketing tools. It’s essential to have some money saved up in case of emergencies.
- Stay organized
Freelancing can be a lot of work if you’re not organized. Ensure that you have a system for keeping track of your work and deadlines. It could be as simple as writing all freelancing tasks on a calendar or using freelancing management tools.
- Have fun freelancing
Freelancing should be about having fun, not working hard. If you’re freelancing for the money alone, it can become stressful very quickly. Try to enjoy what you’re doing and remember that freelancing is supposed to be a career, not a job.
Freelancing can be a great way to make some extra money, but it’s essential to set yourself up with freelancing tips for beginners before diving in. If freelancing is something you plan on doing long-term, it’s also vital to create rules for yourself and find your niche. By freelancing course or tips, setting some rules, and finding your niche, you’ll make freelancing a lot easier. If freelancing is something you plan on doing long-term.
Here are a few more freelancing tips for beginners:
- Choose the niche in which you think you have interest and skills.
- Keep practicing skills and continue your learning process.
- Set your goals with a timeline, starting from 1-month goals to 6-month goals.
- Keep planning and try to execute your plans.
- Market your services on social media platforms regularly to find customers and grow your business.
- Learn Search engine optimization.
- Learn CANVA to make attractive thumbnails, Cover photos
In the end, I would like to remind you that this article is based on “How to Start with Freelancing – Ultimate Guide 2021”. We hope this article provides deep insights on how to start online earning, different platforms of freelancing, and different tricks on how to become a successful freelancer.
Let’s start with a freelancing career today and don’t lose hope if you are stuck and didn’t get orders at the start just keep your shoulders high and eventually you will succeed.