If you’re an aspiring blogger, you may be wondering if is it too late to start a blog.
After all, it feels like everyone and their mother has a blog these days.
But the good news is, it’s not too late!
There are still plenty of reasons to start a blog.
There are tons of niches (Topics) that you can create content around and monetize.
You just need to find that perfect niche that not many bloggers know about.
In this blog post, I’ll tell you:
- Is it too late to start a blog
- How to pick the right niche so you don’t have to compete with the big guns
- And how to start and monetize a blog with multiple streams of passive income
Let’s dive in.
Is It Too Late to Start a Blog?
To answer that question more effectively, let’s go into the details.
What’s a Blog Anyway?
A blog is a type of website that’s focused on content.
So, you’d normally see “Latest posts” on a blog’s homepage rather than a permanent page.
Now, you can create a macro blog where you can talk about everything under the sun.
But, smart bloggers prefer niche blogs that are focused on a particular topic.
Why Is It a Better Idea to Create a Niche Blog?
Now, a niche blog is a blog with a specific focus, typically on a single subject.
For example, a fashion blog could be specific to runway, vintage, or street fashion. By having a particular focus, the blog can become an authoritative source on that topic, which can lead to increased traffic and opportunities for monetization.
There are several reasons why it’s better to create a niche blog instead of a general interest blog.
First, niche blogs are more likely to attract targeted readers who are interested in that particular topic. This leads to higher engagement rates, which is beneficial for both the blogger and the reader.
Second, advertisers are more likely to work with niche blogs because they know that the readers of those blogs are more likely to be interested in their products or services.
Why It Isn’t Too Late to Start a Blog?
It’s no secret that blogging has become one of the most popular ways to make money online and grow an existing business.
But what if you’re one of the millions of people who think it’s too late to start a blog? It’s not! Here are the reasons why it isn’t too late to start a blog:
The Sky is the Limit
No matter what your interests are, there’s a good chance you can find an audience for your blog. There are blogs about everything from fashion to food to fatherhood, and everything in between. So, don’t let the fear of not having an interesting topic hold you back from starting a blog.
Starting a Blog is Ease and Affordable
Nowadays, it is easy and affordable to start a blog.
You can use a free platform like Blogger, or you can self-host your own blog for a few bucks per year.
All you need to invest in is:
- A domain name
- A hosting service
You can buy both from the same company; for instance, Hostinger has a super attractive deal for shared hosting that comes with a free domain name.
There’s an Audience for Everything
Okay, there might not be a big enough audience for EVERYTHING, but there are tons of sub-topics you can find an audience around.
Even if a niche has around 60 keywords or in-demand topics, you can create a profitable blog around it.
“In-demand” is the keyword here.
So, no matter what niche or topic you choose, you can never ignore topic research or more appropriately, keyword research.
You Can Find Low-Competition Keywords in Literally Every Industry
So, I started working on a topic a couple of years ago.
The goal of this blog I started was just to learn different concepts. (You learn better when you write about something).
Now, this niche was super competitive. But, then I discovered some keywords that started to rank on Google.
And that’s where I realized that you can get traffic to your blog if you’re a little wise about your topic selection.
So, every new blogger needs to realize that they don’t need to work on a super-competitive key phrase like “How to lose weight”.
You can find enough topics to talk about and get your blog on the first page of Google.
The condition, of course, is that it needs to be a broad enough niche.
You don’t want to work on something that’s been covered A-to-Z.
I’ll tell you how you can find the right blogging niche for your first blog in a bit.
Now that you know why is it not too late to start a blog, let’s talk “Hows” of starting a blog.
You May Also Like: Is It Too Late to Start a Travel Blog?
How to Start a Blog on a Low-Competition Topic?
Find Enough Low Competition Keywords
If you know anything about profitable blogging, you’d know that producing blog posts on any topic you like doesn’t work.
In fact, finding the right kind of topic is one of the most important skills you need to be successful in blogging.
- You want to produce content on topics that are being searched on search engines like Google
- You don’t want to compete with old, authority blogs in your industry
Before we talk about how to find these keywords, it’s imported to address another question:
How many low-competition keywords do you need to start and grow a blog and make enough money from it?
While it depends on how niche you go in your industry, you shouldn’t go below 60.
This means making sure there are 60 low-competition keywords under the main topic.
For instance, let’s say you want to create a blog around the Keto diet.
Now, there will be a lot of high-competition keywords around the Keto diet where you’ll see websites like Healthline ranking on the first page.
But, there will also be enough low-competition keywords you can build authority around.
How to Do Keyword Research?
In order to ensure that your blog is reaching the right kind of people, it is essential to do keyword research.
Here are some tips on how to go about doing keyword research:
- Brainstorm a list of potential keywords or phrases that you think people might use to search for your blog.
- Use a tool like Google AdWords Keyword Planner to get more ideas and get search volume data for your potential keywords.
- Check the first-page results for every keyword and see if there are any new websites ranking for it.
- Once you have a good list of potential keywords, start incorporating them into your blog posts and see how they perform.
- Always be prepared to adjust your keyword strategy as needed based on your results.
To find these keywords, you can just put a keyword in Google Keyword Planner and it’ll spit out a list:
Publish SEO-Friendly Content
Finding the right kind of keywords is super important, but it’s not where the battle ends.
Here are a few SEO tips to create the type of content that’s not only loved by users but also cherished by Google:
- Use keyword-rich titles and descriptions. This will help your blog posts show up on search engine results pages (SERPs).
- Use relevant keywords throughout your content. This will help search engines understand what your blog post is about and index it accordingly.
- Make sure your blog website is mobile-friendly. More and more people are using their smartphones and tablets to access the internet, so you need to make sure your site looks good on these devices.
- Add images with ALT tags. If you use images in your blog post, make sure you add a descriptive ALT tag to each one. This will help improve the search engine results for your post.
- Write easy-to-read language. If you want to be found on Google, make sure your content is easy to read and follow. If not, people will bounce off your site.
- Use social media. Add social sharing buttons to your blog post so people can share it with their friends on Facebook and Twitter.
You May Also Like: Is It Too Late to Start a Food Blog?
Promote Your Blog Posts
You’ve created a great blog post, now what? Promote it as much as possible.
Here’s what you can do:
- Include a link to your blog post in your email signature. This will help you drive traffic back to your site and get more people to read it
- Track the keywords that are driving traffic to your blog posts. This will help you better understand what people are liking on your blog
- Include a “Read more” link at the end of each blog post to encourage readers to continue reading your site.
- Write blog posts that are longer than 1000 words. Shorter articles can be taken as thin content by Google. Longer content tends to be more useful to the user
- Include the keywords in your post titles, but don’t overdo it. Google will penalize you for keyword stuffing
- Create an RSS feed for your blog and include it in your email signature.
- Include a link to your blog post on your Facebook profile, Twitter, Google Plus, and other social networking profiles
- Include your blog posts on business directories like BOTW, DMOZ, and Yahoo Small Business.
- Submit your blog posts to article directories on the web.
You May Also Like: Is Blogging a Good Career?
Is It Too Late to Start a Blog: FAQs
Is It Too Late to Start a Blog in 2022?
Not at all. In fact, blogging is proving to be one of the most lucrative forms of online business. However, although it might look simple on the outside, it can be tough and time-consuming to build a profitable blog, which is where this guide will come in handy.
Is It Possible to Earn Money Blogging?
Yes, it is possible to earn money blogging. But, It takes time, patience, and dedication to build up a following and establish yourself as an authority in your niche before you can start making any serious money from your blog. However, if you are passionate about writing and are willing to put in the effort, there is potential to make more than a full-time income from blogging.
How to Monetize a Blog?
- Sell advertising space on your blog. This is one of the most common ways to make money from a blog. You can sell ad space to companies or individuals who want to promote their products or services on your blog.
- Sell products or services through your blog. If you have something to sell, such as an e-book or online course, you can promote it on your blog and make money when people buy it.
- Use affiliate links on your blog. If you recommend products or services on your blog, you can earn a commission when people click on the links and make a purchase.
- Sell online courses and other digital products.
You can sell anything you want on your blog given that you follow the right path.
How Much Money Do I Need to Start a Blog in 2023?
Not much. You can start a blog even for free, with Blogspot. But, if you’re serious about monetizing it and making it a decent source of revenue, you can start a blog for as little as $2.99 with Hostinger hosting (Free domain).
Is Blogging Passive Income?
Yes, blogging is one of the most popular ways to generate passive income. But…
…If you want to make money from your blog, you need to treat it like a business. This means creating quality content regularly, promoting your blog through social media and other channels, and building a loyal following of readers. Only then can you start to see some real earnings from your blog.
Conclusion: Is It Too Late to Start a Blog?
In conclusion, it is never too late to start a blog.
Even if you feel like you are behind the times, there is always room for new voices and new perspectives.
If you are passionate about something, don’t let anything stop you from making it an additional, or even a sole, income source for yourself.